terri kirchner's fabriKations

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Back in the studio!

I have spent most of my new found "spare" time in the studio the past few weeks..that is....when I haven't been working! Actually, I have spent more time in the studio in the last few weeks than I have the last few months..it has been delightful!

I finished the new top for the "big" BBD Creations quilt this afternoon. It is a traditional patchwork using colors from a dusty dark blue to periwinkle and then a rich blood red to lemon yellow. It has touches of Bonnie's copper and black as well. I will have it quilted and ready to go by late February. Was good to spend time using my brain and playing with math puzzles. The serenity that a complicated piecing design can give you is highly underrated.

I started the MArQ bead inspired challenge today as well. It has to be ready by the meeting date in March so I will have to hightail it over to Office Max to blow up the line drawing for the applique tomorrow. The quilt isn't large..about 32" x 45", but it will have a great deal of hand work in silk, wool and batik..I know a lot of fiber going on..trying to stick to stash! With 25 years of collecting I am sure I will be successful in that endeavor! It will be a very textural piece with lots of handwork and embellishment.

I have also started pulling the fabrics for the next BBD quilt..I had mentioned before that we are trying to make up for lost time in the past two years as I was committed to the WI Museum of Quilts & Fiber Arts Construction project. We plan to have at least 5, if not 7, new quilts this Fall. Time to change it up in the booth. We retired several quilts this year....Sunflower, English Ivy, Angel, Puss in the Corner and Birthday Bunny...There will need to be more room..the new "big" quilt will take up a whole wall by itself! The other quilts will be much smaller. but still will require re-configuring the booth!

Back to the grind..using EQ5 to write the pattern tonight for the new quilt. I haven't pulled out that software in a few years so this ought to be an adventure in memory! It will be nice to have a program to make the blocks and the paper pieced foundations! Our patterns have gotten better: full sized applique and better written directions..pattern writing is a learning experience.

Thanks for popping in!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home